I’m a fan of easy meals. I particularly like it when it doesn’t require me preparing meat! Don’t get me wrong, I love meat (steak in particular) but sometimes I tired of the prep. I can’t get away with a meatless, or almost meatless, meal when my husband is at home, so I take full advantage of his occasional absences to indulge in my almost-meat-free meals. Here’s one I threw together last night, and enjoyed for lunch today!
White Bean & Mushroom Cassoulet
- Prep: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Serves: 2 (1 with leftovers)
- 1 can white beans, rinsed
- 12 cremini mushrooms (any kind can be used), sliced
- 1 handful baby spinach, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- 2 cooked bacon strips, chopped (I used leftovers)
- 12 cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- 1 tsp bacon grease
- ¼ c. red onion, diced
- ¼ tsp dried thyme
- ¼ – ½ c. reduced sodium chicken broth
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- ¼ c. parsley, chopped (optional)
- ¼ c. parmesan cheese, shredded (optional)
- In a pan heat the olive oil over medium high heat. When warm add the diced onion, garlic, and dried thyme to the pan. Sautee until tender. Meanwhile, chop the bacon and mushrooms.
- Add the sliced mushrooms and let cook until they have released their water. Add the chicken broth, and tomatoes and simmer until liquid has almost all been absorbed. It should look soupy at first, and then absorb.
- Meanwhile drain the can of white beans and run under water until the foam disappears. Leave in the colander to let the excess water runoff. Chop the spinach and parsley, and grate the parmesan.
- Add in the spinach, stir until welted. When the water is gone, add in the white beans, half of the bacon, and the bacon grease – stir to combine.
- Spread contents of the pan evenly and turn the heat on high. Occasionally scoop the beans with your spatula and flip as you would a pancake. Do this all around the pan every few minutes until you see a brown crust beginning to form. When it reaches the brownness of your liking (3-5 mins), remove from the heat. Sprinkle with remaining bacon, parsley, and parmesan cheese,. Serve warm.