The first week back to work after vacation always seems especially difficult. Waking up early, being on a schedule, limited lounging-around time, it’s rough. By the end of the day all I want to do is lay on my couch and pretend it’s vacation again. That poses a problem when dinner time rolls around and I’m in no state of mind to think of what to make, let alone stand in my kitchen for an hour. Then enters the 15 minute dinner to save the day!
I love 15 minute dinners, they are joyous, unassuming, and satisfying. I also love Thai Food. When the two meet, beautiful things happen. I was browsing through Pinterest and came across this recipe from Brooklyn Homemaker, for Thai Style Chicken Noodle Soup. I was halfway into the recipe when I discovered I didn’t have coconut milk (shocking, since it’s a staple in my pantry). So I improvised. Below is my slightly modified recipe, that turned out incredibly delicious!
15 Minute Thai Noodle Soup
Original Recipe Here: Thai Style Chicken Noodle Soup
- Serves 4 hungry humans
- Time: 15 minutes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, with a dash of sesame oil for taste
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tablespoons finely grated fresh ginger
- 1 large carrot, thinly sliced into disks
- 5 shitake mushrooms (or baby bellas) sliced thinly
- 1 chicken breast, sliced thinly
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sriracha
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions
- 1/2 cup torn cilantro leaves
- 6 oz package egg noodles, prepared according to the package
- Preheat oil (olive and sesame) over medium high heat in a large heavy bottom stockpot. Add garlic & ginger and cook, stirring often, for 1 minute. Add carrots and mushrooms cooking for 1 more minute.
- Add chicken stock, water, lime juice, fish sauce, & sriracha , and bring to a boil.
- Add raw sliced chicken and let cook for 5 minutes or until chicken is cooked (depends on how thick you cut your chicken). Add half the cilantro and green onions.
- Meanwhile cook your egg noodles according to the package (mine took 3 minutes). When done, add noodles to the soup mixture.
- Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary. Remove from heat, add the remaining green onions and cilantro, and serve!